High Court grants permission to Delhi University to conduct online Open book Examination (OBE)
On 8th August 2020, Delhi High Court ultimately allowed Delhi University to conduct its online OBE for final year students.
The online open-book exams for final year students will be conducted as per the scheduled dates from August 10.
Students who are not able to appear for the online examinations would be given an opportunity to appear for the exams later in the month of September.
Delhi University open book examination from August 10 to August 31.
The Delhi High Court has declined the petition filed by the students to revolt online OBE. However, Delhi University is scheduled to begin the online open book examination from August 10 to August 31
Although the court has issued directions to the Delhi University in accordance with the issues raised by students. The University and Common Service Centre have been asked to comply with the directions of the court for conducting online exams.
Directions issued by the court for conducting online Delhi University exams.
Delhi HC single judge bench of Justice Pratibha M. Singh has announced the verdict petitions challenging the conduct of Open Book Examination in online mode for final year students.
The following directions have been issued by the single bench of Justice Pratibha M Singh:
- The question papers for online OBE exams will be made available on the online portal as well as on email IDs of students.
- An extra hour shall be provided to students to upload their answer scripts.
- Students must be informed and confirmation must be sent by an auto-generated email notifying that their answer scripts have been accepted.
- Delhi university must ensure that its centralized email addresses hold enough capacity to accept the responses from all the students.
- The University must publish the email IDs of all the respective nodal officers, concerned officers, and partaking colleges on its a website by August 8.
- The grievance officer appointed by the university to address the emails of the students shall be obliged to respond to the mails within 48 hours. If the officer fails to do so, the matter will be taken to the grievance redressal committee.
DU have to submit a report to the grievance committee after the Delhi University exams online.
Justice Pratibha, a former judge of Delhi high court will lead the grievance committee. The grievance committee comprising of justice Pratibha will deal with the grievances related to the process of online exams
Delhi University will have to submit a report to the grievance committee after the conduct of exams.Delhi University will simultaneously forward the answer scripts to the DU professors to ensure speedy declaration of results.
Common Service Centre (CIC) to ensure the preparedness to conduct Delhi University exams online.
The University of Delhi is required to file the compliance report within four weeks. Also, the grievance redressal committee will further submit a report after the DU online OBE is over.
Although the Common Service Centre (CIC) to ensure the preparedness to conduct exams will have to send emails to all its centers.
The High court has ruled in favour of the varsity.
Justice Pratibha Singh after announcing the order wished Delhi University and final year students all the best for Online OBE.
The petition filed by the DU students challenged online OBE and called it as discriminatory as most students do not possess speedy Internet connection or study material.
Petitioners had challenged the university decision to conduct the online OBE, citing it to be discriminatory. The court has ruled in favour of the varsity.
Students will have an option for appearing for offline exams once the situation gets stable.
Even after various concerns raised by the students, the Delhi University maintained a consistent standpoint that the University has to conduct Delhi University exams as per UGC guidelines before September 30.
The University has submitted a statement that even after conducting OBE exams which is the best alternative available, the students will have an option for appearing for offline exams once the situation gets stable.
——————————————————————————Delhi University exams online——————————————–Delhi University exams online——————————————————————————